There is a new Cyber threat called Ransomware designed to block access to a computer until a sum of money is paid.
Below please find chain of how this is transmitted
Infected Machine displays the below message
How to prevent it.
We strongly urge you to follow the following step to ensure your computer and data is protected from this.
- Save your work on the shared drives / network drives that have been assigned to you, as the data on this is backed up regularly.
- Do not take part on any online survey. If you are required to take part in any, please verify the online survey with the ICT department.
- Do not enter your email address or any other contact information on any website. Please consult with the ICT department before submitting your email or contact details.
- Ensure your antivirus is updated. If your antivirus is not up-to-date please inform the ICT department.
- Do not open any emails from unknown recipients.
- Inform the ICT department of any PDF attachments that end with the file extension .exe
- Inspect files received on emails. If the file is an image the file extension should be .jpg .png, if it’s a document the file extension should be .doc .docx .xls .xlsx .csv .pdf. If the files looks suspicious inform the ICT department immediately and do not proceed without confirmation from ICT.
- Do not update any software on the machine. Please inform the ICT department and they shall update the software, if required.
- Close any website that opens pop-up windows, and report this to the ICT department immediately.
- Inform the ICT department of anything unusual activity on your computer immediately.
- When opening website that require you to enter your email address or require any sort of login, ensure that the website is secure by ensuring the address has “https” at the beginning. Any website that do not have https, inform the ICT department and await confirmation before proceeding into the website.
Feel free to engage the ICT department incase of any challenges
Easy LINK Technologies
Amee Arcade 2nd Floor Westlands | Branch Office - Mombasa - Mvita Grounds Baraka Suites 1st Floor
Tel No:- +254 20 259 77 44, +254 20 259 77 88 |Mobile:- + 254 733 626 069 | P.O Box 58185,00200
Skype – easylinksupport |W -www.easylink.co.ke